My girlfriend and I rely on the Internet for pretty much everything that we need. That’s why when we got a cute little Cane Corso last year, we sought the help of the World Wide Web to give us an idea of how to take care of our furry little friend.
The problem was that not everyone seemed to agree on the best dog food for Cane Corso dogs. It got us confused, so it took us a while to pick a brand we thought was reliable.
My first pick turned out to be a bust—so was my second and third. Frustrated, I decided to take matters into my own hands and did thorough research on every existing dog food I could find.
- Our Top Pick
- Our 7 Best Cane Corso Dog Food Reviews
- Canidae All Life Stages – The Best Dog Food Product
- Wellness Core Grain Free Large Breed – The Best Value
- Ziwi Peak Air-Dried New Zealand Venison Dog Cuisine – The Best Premium Brand
- Orijen Puppy Large – The Best Food for Cane Corso Puppy
- Blue Wilderness Salmon for Large Breed Adult Dogs
- Eagle Pack Natural Dry Food – Large & Giant Breed
- Holistic Select – Large & Giant Breed Dog
- Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
Our Top Pick
You could never go wrong with Canidae All Life Stages. It has premium-quality turkey meat, which is a good alternative for dogs which are sensitive to chicken.
The best thing about this product is that you can feed it to any Cane Corso dogs regardless of their ages, so you don’t need to keep multiple formulas just to satisfy all of them!
Our 7 Best Cane Corso Dog Food Reviews
Wouldn’t it be great to have a trusted dog food product for your Cane Corso puppy that you can still use until she grows old? Canidae All Life Stages is formulated for large breed dogs of all ages.
- Protein, Calcium, and Phosphorus in Right Amounts: These three nutrients are responsible for the proper growth and development of your dogs. However, excessive intake of some nutrients can have adverse effects on your Cane Corso’s overall health.
- Formulation Up To Standard: This product has met the requirements set by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages, which speaks for its quality.
The advantage of having Canidae All Life Stages in a household with more than one large breed dog is indisputable. You don’t need to switch between several dog food formulas since you can use a bag of Canidae for everyone.
The thing I found odd is the fact that there are ingredients in this product that the AAFCO has listed as “non-essential nutrients,” though I have to hand it to these guys for being honest by fully disclosing this information to the public.
- Suitable for multi-dog households
- Protein-rich turkey meat
- Contains probiotics, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids
- Lengthy feeding instructions
Nothing comes close to the versatility of this large breed dog food. You can let go of your worries because you can just have a single kibble product that can satisfy your group of pets at home.
Overall Ratings: 5/5
This product from Wellness is specially formulated for large breed dogs, so it is perfect for your Cane Corso’s nutritional needs. Its main component is chicken meat, which is rich in protein and fatty acids.
- High-Quality Protein: Unlike traditional dog food that uses grains for its protein content, Wellness Core’s primary source of protein is deboned chicken. Protein is vital in a dog’s healthy bone development. Large breed dogs need at least 30 percent protein content on their diets.
- Contains Omega-3: This formula includes flaxseed, which is packed with omega-3 fatty acids. This is a nutrient that helps dogs maintain healthy skin and coat.
What I like about this product is that it is 100-percent grain-free. Instead, it uses chicken in various forms for its protein, making the formula more attuned to the natural diet of dogs according to their evolution.
While chicken is an excellent source of protein, it is also one of the most common causes of allergies to dogs. Good thing that the symptoms of allergies often take time to develop.
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Has at least 34 percent protein content
- Contains a variety of fruits and vegetables
- Not suitable for dogs that are allergic to poultry
Aside from chicken, Wellness Core also has turkey meat, peas, and potatoes. The combination of meat and plant extracts makes this dog food more balanced in terms of its nutrition, ensuring the overall health of your Cane Corso as it grows up.
Overall Rating: 5/5
New Zealand has pristine waters and mountains, so to learn that Ziwi Peak has exclusively sourced its venison from this place, I do not doubt that the quality of its meat is top-notch.
- One Type of Meat Protein: Ziwi Peak uses only venison for its meat protein, which is contrary to some top brands that contain two or even eight types of meat in its formula. Venison is considered as novel meat, so this dog food is perfect for Cane Corso canines that are sensitive to traditional ingredients like beef and chicken.
- No Artificial or Synthetic Ingredients: Some products use artificial flavoring and preservatives to enhance taste and appearance. That’s not the case with Ziwi Peak.
What’s impressive about this product is that it doesn’t use rendered meat or animal meals in its formula. Heavily-processed meat ingredients tend to be cost-effective; so many companies opt to use it instead of fresh meat. Ziwi Peak contains meat from New Zealand venison that is free-ranging and naturally feeds on grass.
On the flipside, some dogs may not like the taste of this food at first try.
- High protein content at 45 percent
- No meat by-products
- Carbohydrates are not from grains
- Expensive dog food
Not that many dog food products offer exclusive venison meat. So if you want to give premium quality venison to your Cane Corso, Ziwi Peak is an excellent choice.
Overall Rating: 5/5
Dog breeds with huge puppies need a great balance of protein and calories to promote the proper growth of their muscles and bones without getting overweight.
Your three-month-old Cane Corso puppy, for example, could weigh upwards of 30 pounds, so a healthy diet is a must—in which case, Orijen Puppy Large should be a great help to you.
- Fresh Meat Ingredients: Two-thirds of its meat ingredients are delivered fresh before processing. The rest is air-dried at low temperature to make a highly concentrated protein additive that’s 100-percent healthy.
- Wide Variety of Animal Meats: Orijen Puppy Large contains at least four types of animal meats—chicken, turkey, herring, and flounder.
Orijen calls its innovative idea “biologically appropriate,” which advocates the use of more meat in their dog food processing since that’s how a dog’s diet has naturally evolved through the years.
The only thing I dislike about this product is its strong smell, which could be the result of its rich meat content.
- 85 percent meat-based dog food
- Meat ingredients fit for human consumption
- Large amounts of low glycemic carbohydrates
- By far, the best dog food for Cane Corso puppy in the market
- Its odor could really be stinky
Orijen Puppy Large is a nutrient-dense dog food which is appropriate for your Cane Corso’s need for protein to support its growth. Its low glycemic carbohydrate content prevents your puppy from consuming too many calories, which could lead to obesity.
Check out the other puppy foods from this brand.
Overall Rating: 5/5
Blue Wilderness uses deboned salmon as its primary source of protein, which will surely appeal to Cane Corso pets that like to eat fish. With chicken and fish meal added to the mix, you get protein-rich dog food that’s tailored-fit to adult large breed dogs.
- Precise Blend of Nutrients: Blue Wilderness calls this process “LifeSource Bits,” which is the selection of the right number of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to properly support a canine’s overall health and immunity.
- Shiny Cane Corso Coat: Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids which help maintain a dog’s healthy skin and coat.
- No Artificial Flavors and Preservatives: This product does not use synthetic flavoring or preservatives just to make the kibble tasty or more appealing to dogs.
What I like about Blue Wilderness is that it has taken into consideration the dogs’ evolutionary diet in formulating their product. They have tried to create a formula that’s more attuned to a canine’s natural preference for meat over grains.
Of all the ingredients listed, the chicken and fish meals are the only things I have found unremarkable. That’s because chicken or fish meal is a highly-processed protein concentrate that is never fresh.
- Fish is its primary source of protein
- Rich in essential vitamins and minerals
- No grains included
- Contains a few processed ingredients
If you want your Cane Corso to consume more fish than other types of meat, Blue Wilderness might be an excellent choice!
Overall Rating: 4/5
This product is optimized for dog breeds that may reach 100 pounds or more upon maturity. Eagle Pack was created in 1985 and has been a trusted brand for police and guide dogs. In a sense, this makes this kibble the best food for Cane Corso, considering that this particular breed is known as a “bodyguard dog.”
- Rich Protein Content: This product contains lamb and chicken meals that are easy to digest. Protein is an essential nutrient responsible for proper bone and muscle development.
- Has Different Kinds of Vitamins and Minerals: Included in every bag of Eagle Pack Natural Dry Food are vitamins and minerals that keep the immune system healthy.
What I like about this dog food is that it was designed for active dogs, so it should have enough nutrients to keep Cane Corso dogs healthy and active.
My only worry is that chicken meal is included in the dog food formula. While not necessarily bad, chicken meal is a highly-processed ingredient that doesn’t come fresh.
- Suitable for large breed dogs with an active lifestyle
- No artificial preservatives
- Contains lots of omega-3 fatty acids
- Includes tomato pomace which is a highly-processed by-product
This product from Holistic Select has a variety of ingredients that help improve digestion and overall nutrition of your Cane Corso. Its protein content amounts to at least 24 percent, which is up to the standards set by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
- Natural Fiber & Probiotics: Many dogs suffer from various digestive tract problems. Holistic Select makes sure dogs get enough nutrients to support food digestion.
- Enhance Bone Strength: This product has an appropriate calcium-to-phosphorus ration that ensures the proper development of bones.
So much has been said about protein in dog foods—of how important it is for your canines. Of course, this product has enough protein content to support the well-being of your Cane Corso.
What I really like about Holistic Select, though, is the attention it has given to nutrients that aid digestion. After all who cares about a high-quality kibble that no dogs would want to eat?
Aside from its meat protein that’s basically from chicken meal, I find all of its ingredients completely impressive.
- Great for Cane Corso dogs with digestive tract issues
- Packed with vitamins and minerals for balanced nutrition
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy hips and joints (preventing arthritis)
- May not be easy to find in local stores
If your Cane Corso has bowel problems, Holistic Select may give your pet the relief that she needs.
Overall Ratings: 4/5
When shopping for the best dog food for your Cane Corso—whether it be online or in your local pet stores—you need to consider a few things first.
Determine Your Dog’s Overall Condition
Things like age, weight, activity, and allergies play a crucial role when choosing the right kibble for your dog. It would be helpful to keep a journal so you could list down your observations.
After all, every dog is unique, and what is suitable for someone’s pet may not be an excellent choice for you. Keep your journal ready, even when you have settled for a specific brand.
Take note of any allergies or undesirable reactions your dog has over a particular product, so you can stop feeding her the kibble right away. You can easily switch her to a new diet plan before her condition worsens.
The Nutrition Your Pet Needs
Cane Corso dogs belong to large breeds, so they tend to weigh a lot even when they are just puppies. To support their proper growth, you need lots of nutrients for their bones and muscles.
Protein is very essential since its responsible for your dog’s lean muscle mass. You need to look at protein content that is high enough, as well as calcium, phosphorus, omega-3, and other vitamins and minerals.
Avoid Ingredients That Can Cause Harm
Why do people say that grains are not suitable for your dogs? Whole grains—which include brown rice and oatmeal—are an excellent source of protein and fiber.
However, due to the pet food contamination scandal in 2007 involving imported Chinese-made pet food that used grains rich in gluten, grains, in general, have been criticized in many articles and reviews.
The real issue was the contamination and not the grain itself. Therefore, if your dog is not sensitive to whole grains, there’s really no reason to avoid it. There are certain ingredients though that are deemed to be common triggers for allergies—beef, dairy, wheat, chicken, and eggs—so you need to be very sure your dogs are not allergic to these things before buying kibbles containing them.
The Price of the Product
You also want to buy a product that would not cause you to give up on your savings. Check your local pet stores to see which brands are more affordable. Amazon is also a great place to look for dog food products.
Compare prices from different sellers and learn about the experiences of other people who have tried a particular brand. I know you want to buy less expensive dog food, but you must not compromise nutrition. Even if there’s something more affordable, go for a product that will be able to give your Cane Corso a balanced diet and the right nutrition it needs in everyday life.
Large breed dogs like Cane Corso have unique nutritional needs, which are different from those of smaller breeds. That’s why you need dog foods that are optimized for their use. All of our seven top picks have their strong points, but for us, the best dog food for Cane Corso is Canidae All Life Stages.
It has all of the nutrients that Cane Corso needs to grow and maintain good health. The primary source of protein in this food is turkey meat, which is less likely to cause allergy than chicken. Though both are considered poultry, turkey is a novel ingredient that is hard to find in other products.